Friday, September 08, 2006

Colors! Your opinion wanted!



These are the two closest neighbors around us.

As you can see from the drawing from 1854, the house was originally white, with green shutters. We learned a couple of interesting things about New Orleans colors recently. First, white was basically the only color they had in large quantities in the early 19th century, so most houses were white. Second, in order to make the green, powdered copper was mixed into the paint! It was highly toxic and started out a bright, almost apple-green shade. Over the years it would gradually turn darker, which brought people to gradually think of Vieux Carre (French Quarter) green as a dark color. Today houses are anything BUT white in this crazy city.

You chime in after looking at the next few pics - what color we should choose for our cottage?

1 comment:

LEW said...

Hi Madelyn (and Mike!),
Erika is showing me your house....it's fantastic....as to colors, I like them all. How about a rainbow house? Of course I'm partial to blue but I don't know if it fits your house....so, oh well....why would I think I could make a decision????? I leave it to you....and know it will be beautifuL!!!!
Love you .... and miss you.....Jenny